School Psychology Online Student Field Experience Requirements
Applicants will need to work with a School District or Special Education Cooperative to ensure appropriate field placements are available. There are several possible scenarios for an entirely online student:
- A District or Coop identifies a possible applicant for a “grow your own” model where the District develops a clear plan for supporting the graduate student.
- The applicant works with a District or Coop to develop a clear plan for completing the required field placements.
We encourage any applicant considering the entirely-online option to work closely with the MSUM Program Director while creating a field placement plan. Below are the basic requirements to help guide planning and decisions about appropriate placements.
- 3 semesters of practicum (Fall Year 1, Spring Year 1, and Spring Year 2 (or Year 3 under the 4-Year Plan).
- Each practicum is a minimum 100 hours for the semester conducted during regular school hours in a school setting.
- Practica must be supervised by a school psychologist. Practica 1 and 3 may be supervised by another professional appropriate to the setting approved by the MSUM faculty.
- Across the 3 practica, graduate students should have access to students PreK-12 with a variety of educational needs and in a variety of settings.
- Practica experiences must allow for completion of required course assignments.
- Students must not be expected to complete activities beyond their level of training.
- Students will abide by all district policies and practices.
- Students need to pass a background check either through the MSUM program or their school districts.
- Any compensation for the student’s work will be negotiated between the student and the district/agency.
- Students will keep a daily log of all practicum activities and hours.
- Students will communicate with MSUM and district if they need to be absent on a scheduled practicum day.
- Supervisors need to complete evaluations of the student and meet with the university supervisor.
- Districts need to provide access to appropriate materials and settings and work with MSUM on access to any materials unavailable on-site.
- Graduate students need access to student records on a need-to-know-basis.
In addition to the 3 practica, there is a 1200 hour required internship. If the applicant plans to complete the internship in the same District or Coop, the internship should be discussed when planning the practicum placements and supervisors.