• Transfer Off-site Admission
  • Print
  • Off-site and Online Programs Transfer Student

    If you are interested in transferring into one of MSU Moorhead’s off-site programs—which include Biochemistry and Biotechnology; Construction Management; Nursing – RN to BSN; Operations Management; and Special Education—please follow these steps.

  • Admission Requirements

    To be admitted to MSU Moorhead, you must have graduated from high school or successfully completed the GED. If you have completed a minimum of 24 academic semester credit hours or 36 academic quarter-hour credits from a regionally accredited college or university and achieved a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA, you generally will be admitted to MSU Moorhead as a transfer student.

    If you have completed fewer than 24 academic semester credit hours, you must provide both your college and high school official transcripts to determine admission eligibility. All grades of F, NC (No Credit), or Incomplete will be treated as Fs in computing your grade point average. If your GPA is less than 2.0, you will be denied admission.

    MSU Moorhead recognizes and upholds academic suspensions from other post-secondary institutions. If you are under suspension from another institution, you will not be considered for admission until two academic terms have passed since the suspension. Summer session does not count as a term.

    You may apply for admission to MSU Moorhead before you complete your studies at another college. You will, however, need to forward a final transcript before enrollment. We reserve the right to revoke admission to students who, after final grades are received, do not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA.

    A higher GPA may be required for entry into some academic departments.

    In addition to meeting the university’s general admission requirements, you will also need to meet admission requirements for off-site and online programs. Note that international students are not eligible to enroll in an online program per the International Student Policy: Distance Learners*. Please contact the Admissions Office, admissions@mnstate.edu, 218.477.2161 for additional information.

    Appeals. View an appeal form and find out how to appeal a denial of admission.

    *International Student Policy: Distance Learners

    The Homeland Security Act of 2002 fundamentally changed the requirements for the international students who wish to study in the United States. The major change that affects an online program is that no more than the equivalent of one online/distance education class or 3 credits per session may count towards the "full course of study" requirement. A full copy of the NAFSA (Association of International Educators) Advisory Manual is available through the International Student Affairs Office [Chapter 3: F-1 Students; Section 3.20.7; Authority cite 8 C.F.R. SS 214.2(f) (6) (i) (G)]. Students are able to be admitted to this program if they have an active Work Visa. Students are unable to be admitted to this program if they have a Student Visa.

    How to Apply

    Applying to Minnesota State University Moorhead as a transfer student is easy. Please submit the following documents to be considered for admission:

    • Application for admission – select “Transfer Student” for student type and “Off-site” or “Online” for Delivery method.
    • A $20 non-refundable application fee.
    • Official high school transcript or GED scores.
    • Official transcript(s) from ALL post-secondary institutions you’ve previously attended. (This requirement does not apply if you have attended another Minnesota State College or University (MnSCU) institution after fall 2001.)

    Please note that transcripts must be sent directly from your previous institutions to the MSU Moorhead Office of Admissions. Faxed student or unofficial copies are not considered official transcripts. Failure to declare all previous post-secondary attendance is a serious offense and may result in dismissal from the university and withdrawal of all credits completed.

    If transcripts are not in the same name as the application because of a legal name change, you must have the name on the transcripts corrected so that the names on the application and transcripts match. Please remember to submit a final transcript if you are currently enrolled in another university.

    Our Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid will work closely with you and your family to help secure the best financial aid package for you. As a prospective student, you enjoy the services of a financial aid counselor who will provide guidance, answer questions and help you navigate the terminology, deadlines and paperwork associated with deadlines, grants, scholarships, work study and loans. You will find additional information about using your financial aid at multiple schools on the Financial Aid site.

    Your first step in qualifying for financial aid is by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). As you complete your FAFSA application, be sure to include MSU Moorhead (FAFSA Code 002367) as one of your top selections. This will allow our financial aid counselors to work with you to address your financial aid needs.

    Transfer Scholarships
    Transfer scholarships are available for new undergraduate transfer students seeking their first undergraduate degree. Learn more about the scholarships we offer.

    To ensure to make a successful transfer to MSU Moorhead, be sure you’re able to check the following activities off your to-do list:

    • Financial aid. Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) early for priority funding. Be sure to select MSU Moorhead (FAFSA Code 002367) as one of your college choices.
    • Register for classes. Attend a Metro Registration Day to register for classes, meet with advisors, receive your photo ID and learn more about financial aid and find out what being a dually enrolled student entails.
    • Visit. Two admissions counselors are located in the Twin Cities Metro area and are available to meet with prospective students. Contact Jim Anderson, Assistant Director of Admissions - Transfer Specialist, anderjim@mnstate.edu, 218.477.2563 to schedule an appointment.
    • E-mail. Set up your Dragon e-mail address.
    • Pay tuition and fees. Bills for tuition and fees are not mailed; rather, once you’ve registered for classes or applied for housing, you’ll find your bill online at www.mnstate.edu and click eservices.
    • Health. Fill out the mandatory health care insurance and immunization forms.
    • Books. Visit the bookstore to reserve or purchase your MSU Moorhead textbooks before classes begin.
    • Transferring courses. Make sure courses you’ve taken transfer to MSU Moorhead using u.select, a multi-state online tool for students and advisors for determining course equivalencies, program requirements, and applicability of coursework when transferring between schools.
    • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. Learn about the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
    • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum and Dual Enrollment. Most students will need to apply to another community or technical college to complete their MnTC and additional program requirements. Contact Jim Anderson, Assistant Director of Admissions - Transfer Specialist, anderjim@mnstate.edu, 218.477.2563 to discuss your options.
    • Transfer Articulation Agreements. Learn more about Articulation Agreements.
    • Appeals. View an appeal form and find out how to appeal a denial of transfer.