• Transfer Admission
  • Print
  • Transfer Students

    We welcome transfer students from both two-year and four-year colleges and universities. In fact, about 40 percent of our students transfer here from other schools.

    If you have graduated from high school or completed the GED and subsequently attended a post-secondary institution, you are classified as a transfer student in the admission process.

    We also offer several off-site programs online and in the Twin Cities area for transfer students. Degrees include biochemistry and biotechnology; construction management; nursing – RN to BSN; operations management; and special education. If you’re interested in these programs, please review the Off-site and Online Programs Transfer Student section.

  • On-Campus Transfer Student

    If you are interested in transferring to the MSU Moorhead campus, follow these steps.

  • Admission Requirements

    To be admitted to MSU Moorhead, you must have graduated from high school or successfully completed the GED. If you have completed a minimum of 24 academic semester credit hours or 36 academic quarter-hour credits from a regionally accredited college or university and achieved a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA, you generally will be admitted to MSU Moorhead as a transfer student.

    If you have completed fewer than 24 academic semester credit hours, you must provide both your college and high school official transcripts to determine admission eligibility. All grades of F, NC (No Credit), or Incomplete will be treated as Fs in computing your grade point average. If your GPA is less than 2.0, you will be denied admission.

    MSU Moorhead recognizes and upholds academic suspensions from other post-secondary institutions. If you are under suspension from another institution, you will not be considered for admission until two academic terms have passed since the suspension. Summer session does not count as a term.

    You may apply for admission to MSU Moorhead before you complete your studies at another college. You will, however, need to forward a final transcript before enrollment. We reserve the right to revoke admission to students who, after final grades are received, do not meet the minimum 2.0 GPA.

    A higher GPA may be required for entry into some academic departments.

    For help with your transfer questions or problems, please contact the Admissions Office, admissions@mnstate.edu, 218.477.2161.

    Appeals. View an appeal form and find out how to appeal a denial of admission.

    How to Apply

    Applying to Minnesota State University Moorhead as a transfer student is easy. Please submit the following documents to be considered for admission:

    • Application for admission.
    • A $20 non-refundable application fee.
    • Official high school transcript or GED scores.
    • Official transcript(s) from ALL post-secondary institutions you’ve previously attended. (This requirement does not apply if you have attended another Minnesota State College or University (MnSCU) institution after fall 2001.)

    Please note that transcripts must be sent directly from your previous institutions to the MSU Moorhead Office of Admissions. Faxed student or unofficial copies are not considered official transcripts. Failure to declare all previous post-secondary attendance is a serious offense and may result in dismissal from the university and withdrawal of all credits completed.

    If transcripts are not in the same name as the application because of a legal name change, you must have the name on the transcripts corrected so that the names on the application and transcripts match. Please remember to submit a final transcript if you are currently enrolled in another university.

    • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA if you have not already applied for financial aid for the current academic year. The MSUM school code is 002367.
    • If you have already applied for financial aid for the current academic year and MSUM was not originally listed to receive your application information, do one of the following:
      • Add MSUM by making an electronic correction to your FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. You will need your PIN number. Make sure you receive a confirmation number. Your information will arrive at MSUM in approximately five business days.
      • Call 800-433-3243 to request that MSUM is added to your application. You will need the Data Release Number (DRN) listed on the first page of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
      • Add MSUM using your Student Aid Report (SAR), sign and send it to our office.
      • The MSUM school code is 002367.
    • If you were selected for verification at your previous school, submit the documentation (i.e. signed Federal tax returns, W-2s) to complete the verification process at MSUM. This must be completed prior to receiving an award letter.
    • Read the Award Guide online. It is an extension of the award letter and contains important information affecting your eligibility.
    • Financial aid awarded at your previous school does not directly transfer to MSUM and financial aid awards may differ from school to school. MSUM will send you an award letter that may include different types and amounts of aid than you received at the previous school. You must also reapply for your alternative student loans.
    • Print and return your completed award letter immediately. When your award letter is received, any Federal loans you accept will be processed. If you have not previously received a Federal Direct Loan, you will need to complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) at www.studentloans.gov using your FAFSA PIN to complete the signature.
    • Complete Entrance Loan Counseling at MSUM. Even if you attended an Entrance Loan Counseling session at your previous school, it is still required that you complete counseling at MSUM. This can be completed on-line at www.studentloans.gov. Entrance Loan Counseling is also available in person at the Office of Scholarship and Financial Aid upon request.
    • If your previous school used professional judgment to change any information on your FAFSA (i.e. adjusted gross income, untaxed income received, independent status override), you must also submit an appeal to MSUM in writing. Adjustments made by another financial aid office will not automatically transfer to MSUM.
    • Request that your previous school send a final academic transcript to MSUM.
    • Most financial aid is electronically credited to your MSUM charges. You are responsible to pay any remaining balance due each semester.
    • MSUM automatically reports your enrollment to all lenders and guarantors through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse. Stafford Loan deferment forms are usually not required.

    If you are transferring to MSUM for the spring or summer term and had financial aid in place at the school you attended that same academic year, you must cancel your financial aid for the next semester at your previous school. Your MSUM financial aid file will be on hold until we receive confirmation from your previous school that your aid has been cancelled. Confirmation can be in the form of: written documentation from your previous school confirming your financial aid has been cancelled, or an e-mail to Denise (peck@mnstate.edu), or a phone call from your previous school confirming your cancellation to 800.593.7246 or 218.477.2087.


    To ensure to make a successful transfer to MSU Moorhead, be sure you’re able to check the following activities off your to-do list:

    • Financial aid. Complete and submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) early for priority funding. Be sure to select MSU Moorhead (FAFSA Code 002367) as one of your college choices.
    • Housing. Submit your Housing and Dining Contract and pre-payment for preferred room placement.
    • Register for classes. Attend a Transfer Registration Day to register for classes, tour campus, meet with advisors, receive your photo ID and learn more about financial aid. If you can’t attend, you can register for classes through Individual Registration.
    • Visit campus. If you haven’t already, be sure to sign up for a campus visit.
    • E-mail. Set up your Dragon e-mail address.
    • Pay tuition and fees. Bills for tuition and fees are not mailed; rather, once you’ve registered for classes or applied for housing, you’ll find your bill online at www.mnstate.edu and click eservices.
    • Health. Fill out the mandatory health care insurance and immunization forms.
    • Books. Visit the bookstore to reserve or purchase your textbooks before classes begin.
    • Transferring courses. Make sure courses you’ve taken transfer to MSU Moorhead using u.select, a multi-state online tool for students and advisors for determining course equivalencies, program requirements, and applicability of coursework when transferring between schools.
    • Other types of transfer credits (CLEP, AP and IB). Find out if other types of credit apply toward your transfer using u.select and MnTransfer.org.
    • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum. Learn about the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
    • Transfer Articulation Agreements. Learn more about Articulation Agreements.
    • Transfer policies and procedures. View the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System policies and procedures about the transfer of undergraduate course credits and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum.
    • Appeals. View an appeal form and find out how to appeal a denial of admission.

    Fall Orientation is a four-day program to help you become acquainted with campus, meet new friends and make a smooth transition to MSU Moorhead. Typically held before classes begin, Orientation provides an outstanding opportunity for you to meet with academic advisors, faculty advisors and peer advisors and become familiar with faculty and staff. You’ll be able to tour campus, learn more about financial aid, discover ways to get involved in campus activities—and even get your student ID (if you haven’t already).

    Attendance isn’t mandatory, but Orientation is a great way to kick-start your academic career. Learn more about Orientation.