Alex J. "Sliv" Nemzek was a life-long
Moorhead resident and star athlete who earned letters in four sports at
Moorhead High School and was part of the school's undefeated 1913
football team. As athletic director and coach of all the major sports
teams from 1923 to 1941, Sliv Nemzek compiled a unexcelled record at
Moorhead State Teachers College. Nemzek was also active in community
affairs, serving as the city's mayor from 1948-49 and as commander of
the local national guard unit for over twenty years. Two years after
his death in 1958, the college named its new field house in his honor.
Architect: Melander, Fugelso & Associates, Duluth. Building completed: 1959 with subsequent additions, dedicated 1960.
Caswell Ballard joined the faculty of
Moorhead Normal School in 1899 as a professor of sciences. He remained
at the college for thirty-eight years, teaching biology and botany, and
contributing to the statewide survey of Minnesota plant life. Ballard
also was active in local government, serving several terms on the
Moorhead City Council. Moving to Iowa upon his retirement in 1937,
Ballard remained active in research until his death in 1949. The
college named this building in his honor in 1950.
Architect: Ingemann and Bergstedt, St. Paul. Building completed and dedicated: 1950.
Samuel G. Bridges was hired by Moorhead
State Teachers College in 1921, to teach history, economics, and
political science. During most of his career he was the chairman of
the Division of Social Studies, and over the years played a leading role
in organizing the faculty to participate in the governance of the
college. He retired from the college in 1951.
Architect: Foss, Engelstad & Foss, Moorhead.Building completed: 1968, dedicated: 1972
The Comstock Memorial Union was named in
honor of one of the first family's of Moorhead history, the Comstock
family. This included Ada Comstock, president of Radcliffe College, her
brother George Comstock, a resident director of the college for many
years, and Sarah Ball Comstock, their mother and one of the founders of
the Moorhead Public Library. Foremost of the Comstocks was Solomon
Comstock (1842-1933), one of the original settlers of Moorhead, who, as a
state senator, authored the bill for the establishment of a teachers
college in Moorhead and donated the land on which the original campus of
this University was built.
Architect: Foss, Engelstad and Foss, Moorhead. Building completed 1967, dedicated 1968.
Millie H. Dahl began her career at
Moorhead Normal School in 1910 as the resident nurse for the students of
the college. In 1912, she was appointed the superintendent of the
college's dormitories, remaining in that position for over forty-one
years, until her retirement in 1953, by which time the college had
become Moorhead State Teachers College.
Architects: Foss and Company, Moorhead.Building completed and dedicated: 1959.
This building was originally constructed
in 1932 as the college's athletic building. Years after athletics had
been relocated to the Nemzek Fieldhouse, the building was remodeled for
class use. It was renamed in 1962 in honor of Flora Frick, who taught
women's athletics and German at the college from 1919 until her death in
Architect: C. H. Johnston, St. Paul for 1932 facility, Foss, Engelstad, and Foss, Moorhead for remodeling. Building completed: 1932 athletic facility, 1972 class building.
Virginia Fitzmaurice Grantham joined the
faculty of Moorhead State Teachers College in 1929, spending thirty-five
years at the college teaching French and Spanish. As an active advisor
to the College Student Commission (the forerunner to the present
student government) she played an instrumental role in establishing the
Honors Convocation for recognizing high student achievement.
Architect: Foss, Engelstad and Foss, Moorhead. Building completed: 1965, dedicated: 1966.
Built in 1932 as the central heating plant for the Teachers College, this building was remodeled and named Grier Hall in remembrance of Elbert, Benjamin and Duane Grier, three generations of the same family who were Chief Engineers for the College. Duane Grier (right), an alumnus of the College, was promoted in the 1960s to Physical Plant Director and held the position until he retired in 1984.
Architect: C. H. Johnston, St. PaulBuilding completed: 1932, dedicated: 1974
Olaf J. Hagen was born in southern
Minnesota in 1872 and grew up in the Red River Valley. After attending
college in St. Cloud, he taught school for a few years before studying
medicine at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Hagen practiced medicine
and surgery in Moorhead, was a co-founder of the Fargo Clinic, was
active in community affairs, and was for many years a member of the
University of Minnesota Board of Regents and a resident director for
Moorhead State College.
Architect: Foss, Engelstad and Foss, Moorhead. Building completed and dedicated: 1965.
This building is named in honor of Noble
B. Hendrix, who served as Dean of Students for Moorhead State College
from 1965 and 1968. As a consultant on the subject of health services
to the Minnesota State College Board, Dean Hendrix was instrumental in
helping the state college campuses establish modern, up-to-date student
Architects: R. H. Rogers and Associates, Fargo.Building completed and dedicated: 2003.
Holmquist Hall is named for Delsie
Holmquist, who joined the faculty of Moorhead State Teachers College in
1929. During her 37 years with the college, one of the longest tenures
in the school's history. She served successively as professor of
English, chair of humanities and Dean of General Studies. Miss
Holmquist retired from the college in 1966.
Architect: Elken and Hanson, MoorheadBuilding completed: 1970, dedicated: 1972
Dr. John Neumaier, the seventh president
of the college, was born Hans Neumaier in Frankfurt-am-Main, Germany,
the son of a prominent businessman and a famous opera star. Forced to
leave Germany as a young man during the Nazi persecution of German Jews,
young Neumaier came to the United States in 1940, changing his name to
John. He was educated at the University of Minnesota, and taught
philosophy at Hibbing College before becoming dean of the college in
1955. Dr. Neumaier became president of Moorhead State College in 1958
and served here until 1968, presiding over one the most dynamic eras of
the school. He subsequently served as president of the College of New
Paltz in New York, retiring in 1972.
This is the second building on the
University campus to be named in honor of Dr. Neumaier. The first,
built in 1970, was razed in 1999.
Architect: R. H. Rogers & Associates, FargoBuilding completed: 2002, dedicated: 2003
Genevieve King joined the faculty of
Moorhead State College in 1947 as a professor of botany and biology.
For her contributions to the sciences and the education of students over
a twenty-seven year period, Moorhead State University dedicated this
hall in her honor in 1974, In 1985, the Genevieve King Scholarship was
established for senior students in biology.
Architect: Elken, Geston and Hanson, Moorhead. Building completed 1970, dedicated: 1974.
One of the longest-serving faculty
members in the college's history, Joseph Kise taught history and
government for thirty-eight years. In addition to serving as president
of the Minnesota Education Association and vice-president of the
National Education Association, Dr. Kise was acting president of the
college for a brief period in 1958. Upon his retirement in 1961, the
college honored Dr. Kise with the title of "Dean Emeritus."
Architect: Foss, Jyring and Whiteman, Hibbing. Building completed: 1962, dedicated: 1963.
Livingston C. Lord, a native of
Connecticut, was the superintendent of schools in St. Peter, Minnesota
when he was hired to be the first president of the Moorhead Normal
School in 1888. During his eleven-year tenure, Lord firmly established
the school as a premier institution for teacher training. He left the
college in 1899 to become president of another institution in Illinois.
He died, in Illinois, in 1933.
Lord's command of American and English
literature was such that the American Scholar noted that he found in
reading the "one thing in the world of value, the active soul." It was
therefore natural to name the library in his honor.
Architect: Magney, Tussler and Setter, Minneapolis. Building completed: 1961, additions in 1971, 1987.
Lommen Hall is one of four buildings built in the aftermath of the 1930 fire that destroyed the original college building. Built as the campus Training School in 1932, the building has served as the center of teaching education ever since. In 1972, the building was renamed Lommen Hall in honor of Georgina Lommen, director of the campus school from 1923 to 1943.
Architect: C. H. Johnston, St. Paul.Building completed: 1932, rededicated: 1972.
Raymond B. MacLean, a native of
Wisconsin, was a school superintendent and Minnesota State Director of
Elementary Schools before becoming the fourth president of Moorhead
State Teachers College in 1923. He served as president from then until
1941, seeing the college through the difficult years of the Great
Depression. Retiring in 1941 because he had reached the mandatory age,
MacLean then another spent two years at the Minnesota Department of
Education writing classroom materials related to the Second World War.
He retired completely in 1945 and died in 1947.
Architect: C. H. Johnston, St. Paul. Building completed and dedicated: 1932.
This dormitory, one of several built
during an era of rapid growth and development, is named in honor of
Minnesota District Judge Norman Nelson, who served on the State College
Board for over ten years, and was president of the board for two terms.
Because the state discontinued the practice of naming directors from
specific college communities in the 1960s, Judge Nelson was the last
"resident" director for the college.
Architect: Foss, Engelstad and Foss, Moorhead. Building completed and dedicated: 1967.
Jane M. (Jennie) Owens came to Moorhead
State Teachers College in 1923, becoming the college's registrar. She
held this position for twenty-eight years before retiring in 1951.
Among her finest services to the college was the task of reconstructing
the student and employee records of the school after the 1930 fire
destroyed the original college building, and her success throughout the
years of the Great Depression in securing financial aid for hundreds of
Architect: Thorsen and Thorshov, Minneapolis Building completed: 1969, dedicated: 1972.
Roland Dille, a native of Dassel,
Minnesota, was the seventh president of Moorhead State University,
holding the office from 1968 to 1994, the longest tenure in the
university's history. Dr. Dille's many accomplishments as president
included the development of the University's Foundation, the
establishment of the Tom McGrath Visiting Writers Series, the success of
"Project E-Quality," a comprehensive program to recruit minority
students, and the establishment of the Tri-College University system
with neighboring institutions. During this era, student enrollment rose
to a record high of over 9100. The University honored President Dille
upon his retirement in 1994 by placing his name on the Center for the
Architects: Foss, Engelstad and Foss, Moorhead, and Stegner, Hendrickson and McNutt, Brainerd. Building completed: 1966, for original building, 1979 for addition.Building dedicated: 1994.
Frank A. Weld was just 24 years old when he became a school superintendent in Zumbrota, Minnesota. Seventeen years later, after serving as superintendent to three schools and working in the publishing industry, he became the second president of the college, in the summer of 1899. During his twenty year tenure at Moorhead Normal School, Weld worked to expand the curriculum and increase the faculty and student body of the school. He also served as president of the Minnesota Education Association. After retiring from the college in 1919, he worked again in publishing. Weld died in Missouri in 1933.
Architect: State Architect's Office, St. Paul. Building completed: 1915, addition in 1957.