background image
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

International Student Services

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    Students enrolled in a college, university, conservatory or seminary whose training programs are "an integral part of an established curriculum" may apply to International Student Services for curricular practical training (CPT) authorization. Such training is defined as "alternate work/study, internship, cooperative education or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school."  

    CPT Eligibility Criteria

    You are eligible to apply for CPT authorization if the following applies to you: 

    • You are maintaining lawful F-1 student status
    • Must be in good academic standing
    • You have completed at least 9 months of full-time study, unless you are enrolled in a graduate program that required an internship earlier
    • The internship must be major requirement/major elective. It cannot be used to fulfill open electives requirements

    CPT Application Process

    If you meet the above eligibility criteria, you will need to make an appointment with International Student Services to obtain authorization on the 3rd page of your I-20. The CPT process does not need to be sent to USCIS or need money to process the application. You will need to bring the following documentation before your appointment with International Student Services:

    • Current I-20
    • Completed Curricular Practical Training Form
    • Your department/academic advisor must complete the above Curricular Practical Training Form
    • Unofficial transcript showing proof of enrollment in internship credits
    • Offer of employment letter from the company/institution where you will work, including the name of the company, location (city/state), brief description, dates of employment and number of hours per week

    Please note: Students must remember to LIMIT working full-time under CPT for less than 12 months. If you EXCEED 12 months you will lose your OPT privileges.