background image
  • Policies and Regulations

Graduate Studies

  • Policies and Regulations

  • Registration for classes is done via the web by logging into web registration at by clicking on ESERVICES and LOGIN with your Dragon ID and PIN. Students are advised to consult with their program for specific registration procedures.

    Registration begins in approximately the middle of the previous term and continues through the fifth day of the term being enrolled in. Courses dropped after the fifth day are considered “withdrawals”. Withdrawals via the web can be processed through approximately the twelfth week of a term. See the semester calendar for exact dates.

    If a course requires an override by an instructor, it is important to note that the override DOES NOT REGISTER THE STUDENT in the course, the student must also register via the web.

    Registration must be completed and all tuition and fees must be paid to the Business Office before published deadlines in order to prevent cancellation of course registrations.

    Questions regarding the registration process may be directed to the Records Office.

    The normal course load for a graduate student is twelve (12) credits. Eight (8) graduate credits of enrollment are required for full-time status for students receiving financial aid, including the graduate assistant or work-study awards; students that are enrolled for six-seven (6-7) graduate credits are entitled to pro-rated financial aid.   Permission of the appropriate graduate program and college dean is required for registration in excess of fifteen (15) graduate credits in any academic term.

    Courses at the 600 and 700 level are offered for graduate credit only. Courses offered at the 600 level are open to graduate students or to undergraduate seniors who meet specific requirements. Courses at the 500 level may be counted toward a graduate degree; these courses are also offered as 400 level courses for undergraduates. Graduate students are expected to perform on a qualitatively higher level than the undergraduates in 500 level courses; additional requirements are made in these courses for graduate students. At least one half of the credits meeting the degree requirement must be in 600 or 700 level courses (exclusive of Plan A Thesis or Plan B Project).

    An entry of AU (Audit) may be made upon a student’s permanent record when a course is audited. As an auditor, a student may attend all class sessions, but need not complete assignments or projects, take part in class discussion, or take examinations. A student who wishes to audit a course must register and pay tuition and fees as though taking the course for credit. A student may change from regular credit to audit status with the written permission of the instructor through the tenth day of classes during the semester, or the fourth day of classes in a summer session. Credit may not be earned in courses taken as a visitor or auditor except by re-enrollment for credit and completion of the course with a satisfactory grade.

    It is the policy of Minnesota State University Moorhead that graduate credit will not be granted for work and other nonacademic experiences.

    Grades and Grade Points

    Grades given in graduate courses include A, B, C, D, F and P (Satisfactory) and AU. In a continuing research course, a student may be given a grade of IP until the course is completed. W signifies withdrawal without penalty from the course. Only those credits which were completed with a grade of A, B, C, or P may be applied toward a Master’s or Specialist degree. Graduate programs may designate core courses which must be completed with a grade of A or B in order to count toward the degree.  

    Grade Point Average

    The grade point average (GPA) is computed by dividing the number of grade points earned in a given course or courses by the number of credits attempted. The GPA is based on MSUM grades only. Transfer credits are not used in computing the GPA.

    Credits with grades of "P", "I", "IP", "AU", or "W" are not included in computing the GPA. Credits with grades of "F" are included in computing the GPA.

    A+  4.00 Grade points per credit
    A 4.00 Grade points per credit
    A- 3.67 Grade points per credit
    B+ 3.33 Grade points per credit
    B 3.00 Grade points per credit
    B- 2.67 Grade points per credit
    C+ 2.33 Grade points per credit
    C 2.00 Grade points per credit
    C- 1.67 Grade points per credit
    D+ 1.33 Grade points per credit
    D 1.00 Grade points per credit
    D- 0.67 Grade points per credit
    F 0.00 Grade points per credit
    N 0.00 Grade points per credit
    I Incomplete
    P Satisfactory
    IP In Progress
    AU  Audit
    W Withdrawal

    Incomplete Credits

    The mark of I (Incomplete) is granted when students are unable to complete course requirements for reasons beyond their control and when arrangements have been made with the instructor before the end of the semester. 

    It is the responsibility of students to develop a contract to meet the instructor's requirements for making up an Incomplete. If an Incomplete has been given, and if the Incomplete has not been made up by the end of the next semester, the "I" grade will be changed to an "F". 

    Candidates for graduate degrees must be enrolled for graduate academic credit at the time they sit for the final oral examination. In addition, some graduate programs have a Continuous Enrollment policy (Counseling and Student Affairs, Nursing, and School Psychology). Students should view the program description pages in the bulletin for specific requirements. Unless dictated differently by a program, students may fulfill this requirement in one of four ways:

    1. Concurrent enrollment in course work.
    2. Enrollment for Plan A Thesis through 699.
    3. Enrollment for Plan B Project through 696, 697 or 796.
    4. Enrollment for one credit in 698 or 798: Continuing Registration.

    Occasionally students will decide to change their degree program after being admitted to or starting a graduate program. Students must meet the admission requirements of the new program including a review and acceptance by that program’s admission committee. To initiate a change in graduate program, a student must:

    1. Complete a Change of Program form and submit it to the Graduate Studies Office. This form is available at the Graduate Studies Office or online at:
    2. Submit any required application materials for the new program that are not on file in the Records Office.


    Any student wishing to pursue multiple graduate degrees from MSUM must meet all admission criteria and degree requirements for each program. A separate plan of study (Form 1) for each degree must be submitted and approved for each graduate program. This form is available at the Graduate Studies Office or online at: Any duplication of coursework must follow current Transfer of Credit guidelines in the Graduate Bulletin.

    All appeals from graduate students are addressed on a Graduate Academic Appeals Form available in the Graduate Studies Office or online at:  The Appeal process must be started within a year of the situation that generates the appeal with the exception of course grade appeals which must be initiated within 6 weeks of the close of the semester in which the student received the grade. Detailed procedures for filing appeals may also be obtained from the Graduate Studies Office or online. The graduate student is responsible for following the designated procedures and filing the forms with the appropriate university offices.

    Course Grade Appeal

    Graduate and undergraduate students use the same policy and procedure for course grade appeals.  Please refer to Appeals - Grade at:

    Graduate Academic Appeal

    The graduate student may file a Graduate Academic Appeal for the following situations:  retroactive withdrawal from courses, admission decisions, termination, degree requirements, course substitutions, course waivers, etc.  The Graduate Academic Appeal follows the following sequence: Graduate Program Coordinator, Graduate Appeals Subcommittee, and the Dean of Graduate Studies.  The Graduate Academic Appeal form is available from the Graduate Studies Office.

    Appeal Timelines

    The graduate student must begin the appeal process within a year of the occurrence for any type of appeal except for course grade appeals which must be initiated within 6 weeks of the close of the semester in which the student received the grade. 


    Programs of study at Minnesota State University Moorhead are designed to help graduates meet certification or licensure requirements in Minnesota and North Dakota, but actual certification or licensure is the function of the states, not of any college or university. Earning an academic degree does not lead automatically to state certification or licensure. It is the students responsibility to be aware of the requirements for the state in which they wish to work.

    Background checks are required by many graduate programs.  The type of check and the procedure varies.  Please check with the specific graduate program coordinator for details.


    Requirements to take 500 or 600 level courses:

    1. Completion of a minimum of 112 semester credits towards a bachelor's degree.
    2. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
    3. Any course prerequisites must be satisfied.
    4. Request by Undergraduate to Register for Graduate Credit" form must be signed and approved by the instructor and the Graduate Studies Office in advance of registration.
    5. Graduate credits may not be applied to meet any requirements for the baccalaureate degree. A maximum of six (6) graduate credits may be taken by undergraduates and subsequently applied to a graduate degree at MSUM. Please be advised that these graduate credits may not be acceptable at another university.